Main milestones of 2019
This report on activities reflects the consolidation of the Jordi Gol i Gurina University Research Institute in Primary Care (IDIAPJGol) as a benchmark in health research.
Our research provides evidence on how to improve health and well-being of people in their community and is based on the principles of accessibility, equity and respect for the integrity of people with a biopsychosocial approach. Health promotion, prevention and early diagnosis, management of acute and chronic diseases, focused care on the person and the understanding of beliefs and behaviours related to health and the diseases are essential issues for us. This is demonstrated by our areas of research in: Healthy Lifestyles and Ageing, Chronicity Prevention and Treatment, Research in Service Innovation and Real Word Evidence that form 34 research groups throughout the Catalan territory. Our organisation with Territorial Research Support Units makes possible the contact with our healthcare researchers and the vast majority of projects that during last years produced 40 actions within the National Health System.
Year 2019 was characterised by several initiatives in which IDIAPJGol was the main character:
- First of all, the active participation in the origins of the IRISCAT alliance, led by the Directorate General of Research of the Generalitat de Catalunya, which expanded its objective giving coverage to all the Health Research Institutes of Catalonia.
- The Development of the Go Europe Project which led to a wide range of European initiatives, as well as strategic participation in the EIT-Health Alliance through the strategic entry of the Catalan Institute of Health as a partner of the same.
- Consolidating as a reference in Real Word Data, with participation in new European alliances (SIGMA consortium, VAC4EU, ...), participation in the OHDSI community with adaptation to the common OMOP data model, European Medicines Agency projects and others.
I would like to point out that all this activity was possible thanks to the management of the previous director, Dr. Concepción Violán, to whom we would like to express our gratitude and recognition for her career at the helm of this institution over the last 16 years years, with all the set of successes and milestones that covered IDIAPJGol.
As the new director of this institution, I would like to express my thanks for the transition we made during this time characterised by the outbreak of the COVID pandemic, and in this sense I would like highlight three consolidated challenges at the beginning of 2020:
- Reaccreditation for ISO 9001: 2015, certified by AENOR that marks the Quality of the Structure, Processes and Results of IDIAPJGol, which recognises the great work in quality carried out in order to adapt the structure, processes and results to the Strategic Plan 2017-2020.
- The approval of the CERCA Board of Trustees to start evaluation of our Institute, which can make possible incorporation into an excellent, multidisciplinary research community with improved synergies with other fields of research in Catalonia.
- Positioning of IDIAPJGol in different public calls concerning COVID-19, with direct participation in our own 40 research projects but also in collaboration with National, State and International Institutions.
Being close to form of a new Strategic Plan we want to point out our clear will to build alliances and collaborations. We want to make an open institute that pursues the goal of making it possible for society to see Primary Care structures not only with an accessible resource of high resolving and technical capacity, but also with high scientific capacity and generating new knowledge applicable to the service of people.
Josep Basora, Executive Manager